Council fined £100,000 after a service user died due to not managing the risks of Legionella - Helmsman Services

Last week, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Reading Borough Council for its failings in not managing the risks of Legionella at a care home where a service user died. The Council admitted the charge and was fined £100,000 and £20,000 costs.

HSE inspector Kelly Nichols said: “The deceased’s family expected him to return home from the home to resume his normal active life, he never did. “Reading Borough Council could and should have controlled the risk of exposure to legionella to the elderly and infirm as well as those receiving immediate care prior to returning home.”

“The control and management arrangements were not robust and the legionella training of key personnel fell significantly below the required standard.”

It is important for all organisations to ensure they are managing the risks from hot and cold water systems with respect to legionella and Helmsman e-Learning can provide the necessary on-line training that will ensure that all personnel are aware of the dangers and know what should be done to minimise the risk. If you have a risk of problems with Legionella, please contact us to discuss what we can do to help ensure that you don’t land up in Court like Reading Council did.

Tony or Louise on 01206 363710