Health & Safety
Health & Safety Services
Health and Safety compliance can be a minefield to those who are not in the profession but who are having to deal with all of the related tasks.
The legalities surrounding Health and Safety are complex and the implications of not complying can easily result in accidents and ensuing prosecution – with vast new fines being imposed. Needless to say it is important not to let these matters slip.
Helmsman can help you with all or any of your Health and Safety needs whether it’s a Fire Risk Assessment of your premises, devising your policies and procedures, preparing Risk Assessments, or giving you help and advice if an accident or incident occurs – we can be involved in whatever capacity is required.
As well as offering an ad hoc service, we also provide an annual service to manage your Health & Safety at various service levels, allowing you peace of mind that you are fully compliant with ever-changing legislation. ‘Safe & Sure’ contracts are flexible and the levels of the service we offer can be seen here.
Training is important to ensure a safe and healthy workplace and Helmsman can provide a broad range of subjects, delivered by experts at your premises, or by e-learning and at value-for-money prices.
Health and Safety Advice
Our professional health and safety advice service is designed to assist companies in ensuring that they are compliant with legislation and allow the Directors to have peace of mind that they aren’t going to land up in prison or with massive fines. This work is carried out on an ad hoc basis, as and when a client needs help with their health and safety requirements. If you’re looking for a more comprehensive support solution, please see the next page for our annual health and safety contract packages.
- Draft documents such as your Policy and Procedures, Risk or COSHH Assessments
- Carry out audits of existing documentation, procedures or fire safety arrangements
- Complete a statutory Fire Risk Assessments of your business premises
- Complete DSE/Ergonomic Assessments for your office based employees
- Send applications for approval of your health and safety systems with CHAS, Exor or other bodies
- Prepare Risk Assessments and Safe Systems of Work
- Inspect premises to establish health and safety hazards
- Assist with accident investigations
- Provide all aspects of health and safety training, in-house or via e-learning
- Offer general health and safety advice
The cost of our advice service varies depending on what work has to be undertaken, but you’ll find that our fees are very competitive. Unlike many smaller providers, we are also fully insured with a £2 million Professional Indemnity policy.
We work with a range of professionally qualified associates, all of whom we have used for several years. They each have expertise in different sectors, so you will always have someone working with you that knows the challenges you face and can provide specialist health and safety advice to your business.
Remember, too, that the ethos of Helmsman Services is that our associates are there to help you, not to be health and safety policemen!
Annual Contract Packages
An annual health and safety support contract packages give you peace of mind that all your health and safety needs are met to the highest standards, taking away your worries and ensuring a safer working environment for you and your staff. As experienced health and safety support contractors, Helmsman Services prides itself on providing agreements that are far more flexible, value-for-money and personal than any other national supplier.
We do not tie you into expensive long term contracts as we believe that, at the end of the year, if you don’t feel that we have added value to your business, you are entitled to terminate the support arrangement.
Also, we do not have a one-size-fits-all offering whereby we give you a large file and tell you to follow it, but if you need help, you speak with a faceless call centre!
Our health and safety cover
Our health and safety support services are tailored to your requirements and as well as offering a Help Line, an annual review of your documentation and frequent updates and news, there are various levels of support available, from which you can choose what is right for you. Our support levels offer a number of activities that can be used for all manner of health and safety purposes, including drafting documents, training, inspections and assessments or accreditation applications – whatever suits you best.
As experienced health and safety contractors, we can work with organisations of any size and in any sector. However, our support contracts are especially designed to support small to medium sized businesses who have no internal resource themselves yet do not want to employ someone to deal with health and safety matters in-house. We become your Designated Health & Safety Advisers and are there to support you.
Health & Safety in-Company Training (Classroom) Courses
- Accident Investigation & Reporting
- AED (Automated External Defibrillator)
- Corporate Manslaughter Act
- Fire Extinguishers (use of)
- Fire Safety Awareness
- Fire Warden
- Fire Marshall
- First Aid at Work -3 day
- First Aid at Work Refresher – 2 Day
- Emergency First Aid at Work – 1 Day
- First Aid recommended ½ day Refresher
- First Aid Paediatric (OFSTED compliant) – 2 day
- Food Hygiene (non accredited course)
- Health & Safety Awareness (various industries)
- Health & Safety for Directors & Managers
- Manual Handling (Loads)
- Manual Handling (Offices)
- Moving & Handling of People
- Accident Reporting & RIDDOR
- Risk Assessment and Method Statements
- Abrasive Wheels (Bench Mounted and Hand Held)
- Aluminium Towers (Mobile Access Towers)
- Asbestos Awareness
- Ladders – Safe Use
- Working at Height